Gastric sleeve surgery is a weight loss procedure that gets rid of approximately 80 percent of the stomach. The best candidates for this type of surgery include individuals with a Body Mass Index (BMI) or 30 or more, and those at a heightened risk of disease or death relating to obesity. Because a new banana shaped sleeve is created, the surgery is irreversible..
How Does it Work?
The team of expert Bariatric Select specialists in Tijuana will perform this type of gastric sleeve surgery laparoscopically.
- Once the general anesthesia has been administered, the doctor will make the incisions and insert the laparoscope. This instrument has a light and small camera that will send a picture to a local computer screen.
- Remove the required segments of stomach along the outer curvature.
- Design a new stomach similar to a banana shaped tube or sleeve.
- The sleeve will spread similar in distance from the esophagus to the intestine.
How Does a Patient Lose Weight
Patients lose weight because the size of the stomach are reduced dramatically. This restricts the amount of food a person can eat at one setting and allows them to experience feelings of fullness more rapidly. This surgical method also removes the area of the stomach that produces a hormone known to stimulate the appetite.
Estimated Weight Loss Totals Expected
Success rates may be higher for those with more realistic weight loss goals and individuals who work closely with our patient care coordinators. Weight loss amounts are also higher for those who keep their follow up appointments, follow the required eating plans given to them and stay physically active.
Surgery time for gastric sleeve is between one to one and a half hours. However, it can differ from patient to patient.
Patients can expect to realize the following benefits:
- A little over 80 percent of the type 2 diabetes cases may be improved.
- Patients will not feel hungry, and often have limited appetite.
- Patients don't have to worry about slips, breakage or erosion as there is no foreign body.
- Hypertension is resolved or improved.
- Unlike other surgeries, there is nothing that needs adjusting.
- The feeling of fullness experienced with the gastric sleeve is much more satisfying.
- Less vomiting after the gastric sleeve compared to those with LapBANDS who experience throwing up long after the surgery.
- Overall quality of life will greatly improve after the surgery.
How Does Gastric Sleeve Differ from the Other Procedures?
Gastric sleeve surgery is different from the others is that both the stomach nerves and pylorus are intact. This allows the stomach to function, while reducing the amount of food that it's able to keep within. Since the capacity of the stomach is reduced, there's no need to bypass the intestines.
What to Expect Afterward
In addition to the health benefits that a weight loss surgery brings to a patient afterward, you may also expect the following:
- You may experience pain in the abdomen and require medication for the discomfort during the first couple of days after the surgery.
- Patients are typically released from the hospital 24 to 48 hours after the procedure.
- Recovery is much shorter because the procedure was performed laparoscopically. Most can return to their normal activities within one week of surgery. However, lifting restrictions will be applied in the month after the surgery.
- A liquid diet will be required immediately after the process, and your future diet will slowly progress to full liquids, blended and pureed foods. Soft and solids will be incorporated once your team determines that you're ready.
- Dehydration can trigger lethargy and headaches, so you want to drink water slowly throughout the day.
- Your bowel movements will be irregular after surgery. When trying to go, avoid straining.
- When you're ready to add solids into your diet, chew the food thoroughly and commence eating once you're full. Failure to do so could lead to discomfort, nausea or vomiting.
- Consuming high calorie liquids such as fruit juice and sodas can prevent you from losing weight.
- Overeating can cause the stomach to stretch and reduce the benefits of the gastric sleeve surgery.
Please call us today (888-857-3532) for a confidential and free consultation, to see whether you qualify for any of our medical weight loss programs (surgical or non-surgical) and/or to learn how we can help you regain your livelihood. We're here to help!
Gastric sleeve surgery is a weight loss procedure that gets rid of approximately 80 percent of the stomach. The best candidates for this type of surgery include individuals with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or more and those at a heightened risk of disease or death relating to obesity. Because a new banana shaped sleeve is created, the surgery is irreversible.